Why you should choose a family holiday in Austria over a traditional beach holiday this summer
With the summer holidays not far away, many families are starting to think about where they will spend this summer season. It is undeniable that children, as well as adults, love the sea. The sun, the beaches, the breeze, the endless vastness of the ocean ….. but maybe, this year you want to break with the yearly beach holiday and want something else. In the following article, we will give you a few ideas, why a family holiday in Austria is just what you are looking for.
- Austria is located in the heart of Europe. No matter where you are coming from, your destination Austria can be reached quickly and easily, whether you are travelling by car, train or plane.
- In Austria, hospitality has no season. Austrians are outgoing and welcoming. No matter, what your destination is, your hosts will do their very best to make your family summer holiday a memorable experience.
- Austria offers you not just an impressive landscape; it also offers you a great variety of different landscapes. From vineyards to alpine meadows, snow-capped mountain peaks and glaciers to the rolling hills. Besides diverse cultural cities, you will also find rivers and lakes, which invite to a great range of sports activities.
- Did you know, most of the Austrian lakes, even those you can swim in, have high-quality water? So pure, that you can drink it. Weissensee in Carinthia, Austria, is one of Europe’s most natural lakes, with a summer water temperature of 25 degrees. If you can’t do without water during your family summer holiday, this would be an ideal place to go.
- Are you looking for cultural events? Particular throughout the summer holidays, there is no better place to be than in one of Austria’s major cities. Just to mention one of these well-known worldwide events, the Festival in Bregenz, with the largest floating stage in the world.
However, since you are on a family holiday, Austria loves children and offers countless events for children and the entire family.
- Did you know, for seven years in a row, Vienna was voted the most liveable city in the world. Every year, worldwide, 230 cities are taken into account. Wherever you are in Europe, you have probably heard about the Donauinsel (Danube Island), one of the greatest recreational islands. If you are not coming for a concert, there is also a family beach, safe for children to play. From here it is not far to the Prater (Luna Park) in the centre of Vienna. You can get there easily by public transport and experience more of the Donauinsel Activities.
- Austria has many traditions and costumes which are cultivated for centuries. Due to Austria’s location, this country has been shaped and re-shaped through kingdoms and wars, which gives Austria a unique flair. Dirndl for the girls and Lederhosen for the boys still belong to the traditional outfits. If you are a fan of romantic castles and ruins, then a family holiday in Austria will be utterly rewarding.
- Food and the culinary highlights are another good reason to trade your family holiday on the beach for a family holiday in Austria. Whether the Tafelspitz, a Wiener Schnitzel, Tiroler Gröstl, Kaiserschmarrn, Apricot Dumpings, Grüner Veltliner, Blauer Zweigelt – Austria is known for its culinary delights. Whichever the region you happen to be in, it will be sure to have its own culinary history.
- Make your family holiday in Austria an activity holiday. And yes, you can bring your small children and sometimes even your dog. If activities are your aim for this holiday, try one of the many special family sports hotels. From mountain hiking to rafting or mountain climbing, you will find, there is something for everyone. After all those activities if its peace and quiet and a little wellness you are looking for, you could try one of the many high quality spa hotels.
- For those who aim high, Austria offers breathtaking viewing platforms. You can find them from Vienna through to Salzburg. Either with a lift or a cable car, these viewing platforms offer the visitor a very different view of Austria.
Conclusion: A family holiday in Austria is nothing like a beach holiday, yet, travelling through Austria will do wonders for your cultural horizon. You will see many things which are uniquely Austrian, that you won’t find elsewhere in Europe. And, if you think cannot manage without the beach and the sea this summer, Austria offers you many fresh water lakes to enjoy this activity too.